Magnet Links not opening for you in Chrome!
Have you ever come across a .torrent file and noticed that Chrome can’t open magnet links? It can be rather annoying, especially if you are using those files quite frequently.
Below are some instructions on how to download a magnet links file with uTorrent, plus guidance on how to fix this problem for future so that Chrome automatically sends the file to uTorrent for opening.
1) Find the magnet torrent file.
2) Right click the little magnet icon in Chrome, then copy the URL.
3) Launch uTorrent / Torrent software of your choice.
4) Click “Add Torrent from URL”
5) Paste magnet link into field, press enter.
6) Download Starts.
6 steps, not bad if you just wanted to download a file or two. Way too annoying for anything more than that. See below for a detailed guide on how to apply a fix.
This was done using the (current) latest version of Chrome (33.0.1750.117 m) and uTorrent (2.2.1) on Windows 7 Professional 64-bit, although newer versions of Chrome and uTorrent should still work!
Permanent Fix Guidance
1) Hit the Windows key (not literally)
2) Type in “regedit” without the quotes, then press enter.
3) Navigate to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Magnet\shell\open\command\ on Windows 8 this is HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Software\Classes\Magnet
This is what you’ll see (below)
Where that arrow is pointing – you’ll want to make sure that is where your uTorrent is located. You may have a custom location, so be mindful of that.
4) Next, navigate to the following folder. C:\Users\[your_user_name]\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data
5) Close Chrome completely before moving on to the next step. (Otherwise your change will not get saved)
6) Edit the “Local State” file using an editor of your choice (Notepad / Wordpad is fine)
7) Hit Ctrl+F and look for “magnet” – if you do not have this entry, then simply create it in the same place as shown in the screenshot below. This needs to be set to false
8) Save and close the file. All done!
As a side note, you may notice that when you click on a magnet links file, uTorrent may show the file as empty at first, but don’t worry … once you have click OK / Next, the files will start to download.